HomePrint FriendlyEmail Page
RSSFacebookTwitterPlay

Go To Search
Click to Home
About the CountyDepartmentsNew ResidentsOur MunicipalitiesOfficialsHow Do I...?

Press Releases

Posted on: June 19, 2017

Freeholders Award Construction Contract for Rehab of Historic Courthouse Annex

At the June 12, 2017 meeting of the Passaic County Board of Chosen Freeholders a $7,982,000.00 construction contract to H&S Construction and Mechanical of Elizabeth, New Jersey for the renovation and rehabilitation of the Historic Court House Annex in Paterson. The County is repurposing the historic structure to house offices for the Passaic County Vicinage Family Probation Division.

“The Passaic County Board of Chosen Freeholders are building on our record of restoring and revitalizing our historic structures to return them to their former glory,” stated Passaic County Freeholder Director Cassandra “Sandi” Lazzara. “Over the last ten years the Lambert Tower was restored and reopened for public use for the first time since 1977 and the Dey Mansion underwent a complete rehabilitation. The restoration of the Historic Court House Annex will reopen a landmark building in the City of Paterson with readapted office space for the Passaic County Vicinage, opening this magnificent building once again to the public.”

In 2015, the Passaic County Court House Annex was placed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places. Completed in 1899, the Court House Annex was designed by master architects for the United States Department of Treasury, William Martin Aiken and James Knox Taylor and is an excellent example of Flemish Renaissance Revival style. The building was first used as a United States Post Office and in 1936 was rededicated as the Passaic County Administration Building. It has been closed to the public since 2011. The rehabilitation is being funded through the Passaic County Open Space, Farmland, and Historic Preservation Trust Fund.

“This Court House Annex is one of the many examples of significant landmark buildings in the City of Paterson representing Passaic County’s rich history,” stated Public Works Committee Chairman Theodore “TJ” Best. “This adaptive reuse of a historic property will not only save tax dollars by allowing the County to end leases for rented office space to house the Family Probation Division, but will also reopen this magnificent building for the public. The Passaic County Board of Chosen Freeholders is building on its strong record of investing in historic preservation and finding new and creative uses for our historic structures.”

Construction is expected to begin in the Fall and should take approximately two years
Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email

Other News in Press Releases

Free Home Energy Seminar Announced

Posted on: October 3, 2016

FREE FILM PRODUCTION WORKSHOP ANNOUNCED

Posted on: October 1, 2016

FREE FINANCE SEMINAR SET

Posted on: September 30, 2016

NJ Poison Information & Education System

Posted on: September 8, 2016

PUBLIC NOTICE

Posted on: September 3, 2014